Poets and artists published in Spectrum Online Edition: September Song are invited to read in the patio of Rosebud Coffee on 2302 E. Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena or at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, September 17th between 3 and 5 pm PDT.

Sunday, September 4, 2022

Jackie Chou

Come September


The schoolyard filled with 

children once again.


Even while they shrieked,

playing ball,

they could see me.


They had eyes like bullets–

a thousand pierced through

the wire fence.


I walked faster,

keeping my head down,

my mother's hand


pulling me toward 

the backroom of her store

where I squatted on a box


for five years,

teaching myself math 

and reading.


When I was eleven

mom finally sent me to school,

which didn’t erase 


the freak in me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Rich Ferguson

If you carefully listen to the fine print at the end of most every human breath, you’ll discover a song of life. A thumping, pumping, bump a...