Poets and artists published in Spectrum Online Edition: September Song are invited to read in the patio of Rosebud Coffee on 2302 E. Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena or at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, September 17th between 3 and 5 pm PDT.

Saturday, September 10, 2022

Jeffry Michael Jensen

A Song for My Supper 


Since I left school, I only sing in the shower or in the car.

A fortuneteller once told me that I should not give up my day job.

In September, I like to take long walks into the surrounding hills.

And we all know that the hills “are alive with the sound of music.”

I like to believe that whistling a cheerful tune can solve something of note.

Fairy tales can come true if I can only slay a few of the sleeping dragons

that seem to gather under my bed whenever there is a heat wave.

Maybe I shouldn’t blame my lack of storybook endings on these gate-crashing dragons.

I should be getting a delivery soon of the stew that my cats can’t live without.

If I play my cards right, I can bribe the cats into chasing off the uninvited guests.

By the weekend, I expect that I can be singing up a storm

and some real clouds that just happen to be in the neighborhood

will produce a measurable downpour.

I also will be feeding my face with a large helping of spicy meatballs.

And that will be the biggest fairy tale of them all.


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rich Ferguson

If you carefully listen to the fine print at the end of most every human breath, you’ll discover a song of life. A thumping, pumping, bump a...