Poets and artists published in Spectrum Online Edition: September Song are invited to read in the patio of Rosebud Coffee on 2302 E. Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena or at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, September 17th between 3 and 5 pm PDT.

Saturday, September 3, 2022

Petrouchka Alexieva

September Song 

(to my father)

Photo cutesy: Public Domain Pictures


I still sing these songs in September -

All the melodies from my childhood, from my youth. 

Yes, I remember them all with my heart.


We harvested grapes in my father’s vineyard - 

Heavy pearls in gold and red.

It was his season, his main campaign. 

So, we harvested them for days. 

And then the autumn fan began. 


Beautiful girls and strong handsome boys 

Jumped into huge wooden barrel. 

Tightening up their clothes to the knee

And singing harvesting songs,

Dancing and mashing the sweet juicy pearls

With their bare feet and laughter was burst.


While grandma was cooking, 

Kneeled down on the ground,

My father was blessing the vines. 

Spieling red wine deep into the roots.

He was thankful for the year that past.

Happy harvesting songs were herd far away

Until moon got high in the sky

Spreading shimmering dust

On the vines from above.


The next day and the very next day

It happened again and again.

So, the job was entirely done.

Yes, I remember this magical time

In which grapes were turned to wine.

I remember the songs of September

And my father’s harvesting chants.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Rich Ferguson

If you carefully listen to the fine print at the end of most every human breath, you’ll discover a song of life. A thumping, pumping, bump a...